Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Cathrine's Horse "Camy" a newly completed commission.

Cathrine and Mike asked me to make a painting using Cathrine's horse as a subject.
I know it looks like a sophisticated street sign but my cropping skills aren't that good. The original is a diamond shape, a square canvas rotated through 45 degrees. The painting was made using a number of visual references, some from photos and some from life. Because the horse is owned by an Omapere resident I chose the beach at Opononi, Hokianga NZ as the location for the portrait. The view to the harbour mouth with the Iconic dunes is a dramatic backdrop for this dynamic image.

I was influenced by Chinese horse paintings as a child. A close family friend had a magnificent and very large, black on white Chinese horse painting on the lounge wall in their family home which made a lasting impression on me.

This is my interpretation.

Harmen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four new boat portraits.

Water colour on paper. A4 size Water colour on paper. A4 size Water colour on paper. A4 size Water colour on paper. ...